Finding your ‘WOW!’ move
Last night an email came into my inbox with the title “Finding your ‘WOW!’ move”. I didn’t recognise who it was from, so I opened it and realised it was a newsletter from See and Do. I read the first couple of lines…
Is there something you’ve always watched other people do and thought “Wow! It must feel amazing to be able to do that!”
That’s as far as I got and I thought back to my early 20’s – watching my friends Mark and Kath hike up a hill with their paragliders on their backs and flying back down again and me thinking, “Wow! It must feel amazing to be able to do that!”.
‘That’ then became my goal and it took me a few years but I learnt to paraglide. Hike & Fly is now one of my absolutely favourite things to do.
So, reminded of this at 11pm last night I looked at the weather forecast and conditions were perfect for an early morning Hike & Fly here in Tignes. I had intended to be sat at my laptop working at 9am but if I made take off by 9am I could be at my laptop by 9.30am, 10am at the latest. I spoke to my boss (me) and we made a deal, work by 10am!
I woke up before my alarm and sprang out of bed, motivation seems to hit an all-time high when we do what we love. I made my way up the trail thinking about the email and the idea of “finding your Wow move”, how I’d found one of mine and what it had actually led onto. It was basically this…
- My friends had given me a glimpse into something I wanted to do
- With their help, I set about making it happen and I learnt to fly
- Fast forward a few years and in 2009 I’d become the first British Woman to fly from the summit of Mt Blanc
- This was the start of my career in adventure
As I hiked I thought when I get back down I’m going to do a blog post about this. (I consulted the boss again to see if there would be time, what with starting work later than planned. She said it’d be fine, just get on with it, rather than spending hours making cups of tea, thinking about it and taking all day over it!)
I was trying to think about how to make it relevant – how to share finding one of my wow moves in a way that helps you to recognise one of yours or indeed find new ones.
And here’s what I think…
- When you read this sentence, Is there something you’ve always watched other people do and thought “Wow! It must feel amazing to be able to do that!” Does something instantly come to mind?
- If you already know it and have done it, brilliant! Go and do it again and enjoy how good it feels.
- If you know it and haven’t done it, set about finding a way to do it; talk to someone, find a friend who does it or who can help you do it, make a new friend who can help you do it, go on a course, talk about it, daydream about it, do a facebook status about it, ask for help… be relentless about finding a way to do this thing that would feel amazing to be able to do.
- And if you read the sentence and nothing comes to mind, keep it in your thoughts, remind yourself of it and next time you see something cool, that makes you think “Wow! It must feel amazing to be able to do that!” remember this blog post and set about making your own wow move. Who knows where it might lead.
The email I received was from Julie Angel, See & Do. This was the blog her email newsletter was sharing.
Writing the blog took hundreds of cups of tea and longer than I thought… the boss was furious 😉
This morning’s Move from my Suunto watch