I was recently asked by Kit & Kin what Girl Power means to me. My thoughts initially go to words like confidence and strength. I think particularly of women in sport, doing well in physical arenas and women daring to go for their dreams. But the more I ponder the question and of course since becoming a mum I realise there’s so much more to Girl Power.
We girls are amazing. I was lucky to be brought up by a family and go to a school where men and women were seen as equal, the thought I couldn’t do something because I was a girl never crossed my mind. Whilst I understood equality was an issue, I had never experienced it personally until I was in my 20’s. I was climbing Cho Oyu, one of the fourteen 8000m mountains. There were 19 of us, 17 men and 2 women. One of the guys, a very strong looking Russian had made his thoughts clear – that mountaineering was a sport for men. On meeting he’d looked me up and down and said, “you don’t look like you can climb a mountain”. I was stunned and didn’t reply. My reply came later in my actions when I summited the mountain and he didn’t.
What Girl Power means to me
- Knowing that we have a value, that we matter and can make a difference.
- Being confident to follow our dreams and passions, be they physical, academic, musical… whatever they are!
- Supporting each other and leading by example.
- Being confident to speak out about what we believe in and knowing that our voice is important.
- Feeling happy in our skin.
- Being aware, being accountable and taking action.
- Growing a whole new person and bringing them into the world!
- Then being there. Nurturing them while they grow, teaching, supporting and loving them.
- Loving men too! Understanding that while we are different we are all equals.
What do you think? Join the campaign!
Have I missed anything? What do you think?
Kit & Kin want to know what Girl Power means to you too. To receive a coupon for 25% off their lovely baby wear range and be entered into a prize draw to win tickets to see the Spice Girls (2x tickets at Wembley Stadium Sat 15th June) first sign up via THIS link then post a picture showing what girl power means to you, with the hashtag #GirlPower mentioning @kitandkinuk in the caption.
Kit & Kin
Before Kit was born I did my homework on disposable nappies. I wanted to find the best for my little baby girls’ derrière! The name of the brand, Kit & Kin, caught my attention for obvious reasons and then the more I learnt, I quickly knew this was the brand for us. Click here to read my blog about why I choose Kit & Kin nappies.
Kit & Kin recently launched a beautiful baby wear range. Passionate about making a difference to lives around the world for every purchase of their 100% organic cotton pieces, you’re helping to support young women and children with educational scholarships, family planning clinics and healthcare through their giving back programme with the World Land Trust.
Using the code SQUASH20 gives 20% off one-time purchases of nappies, wipes, sacks, skincare and your first subscription order.